Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THE CHALLENGE


Mother! What is my fault?
Neither did I choose my gender,
Nor could I halt
My growth, healthy yet tender!
If I could, I would perish
And let my brother live,
But I was the one to nourish
feeding on all that you had to give.
Your dream of mothering twin boys
Perished with our birth,
While the son lay still with a silent voice
The daughter cried out in mirth.
You refused to look at me
Calling me a witch,
Devouring your precious sonny
Destined to make you rich!
Mouth puckered, I smelled the milk,
And reached out for the breast,
It flowed abundantly sweet and thick
But not a drop could I taste.
Mother! I promise I will survive,
Drinking my saline tear,
On your hatred I shall thrive
Gaining strength from fear.
When you are old and sick O mother!
On my shoulders you will lean,
I’ll care for you more than the son
And be the mother you’ve never been.....

No comments: